Houthi threats and US-Iran conflict escalate Ramadan fears in Yemen

Administrator
5 Min Read

A Close Call: Ahmed’s Motorbike and the Airstrike

Ahmed Abdu, 28, parked his motorbike near a construction site in Sanaa’s al-Jiraf neighborhood. He walked away to deliver a food package. Less than a minute later, a massive explosion rocked the street. An airstrike had hit the building he’d just left.

Flames erupted, filling the night with smoke and panicked screams. It happened during Ramadan last year – March 19, 2025. Ahmed survived unhurt, but his bike was destroyed. Nine other civilians weren’t so lucky; they got injured.

Ramadan Returns, Fears Resurface

As Ramadan begins in Yemen again, memories of last year’s US-led bombings, called Operation Rough Rider, haunt people in Sanaa. That two-month campaign killed at least 224 civilians. Many died during Ramadan. Now, with tensions high in the region, Ahmed and thousands of others fear a repeat.

“I don’t know if this calm will last,” Ahmed admitted. “Will we face those terrifying war surprises again? Not knowing is scary.”

- Advertisement -

Houthis: “Ready for the Next Round”

Ten days before this Ramadan, Houthi fighters who control northwest Yemen, including Sanaa, held a massive protest. Their slogan? “Steadfast and ready for the next round.” They promised to back Iran and Lebanon’s Hezbollah against the US and Israel.

Houthi leader Mohammed al-Bukhaiti warned the US directly: “We are men of action, not words.” He said attacking Iran would mean all-out regional war. For ordinary Yemenis, this means their country could become a US bombing target… again.

A Kitchen Hit: Faisal’s Ramadan Horror

Construction worker Faisal Abdulkareem, 35, remembers the terror. Last Ramadan, he heard warplanes overhead. “I tried to stay calm,” he recalled. “This is a residential area, no military targets.” Suddenly, an explosion blew out his windows. Glass shards cut his head and hands.

Faisal rushed outside. A missile had slammed into his neighbor’s kitchen just 20 meters away. “That spiritual night turned into terror,” he said. Nobody died, but the house was wrecked. Locals argued whether it was a US bomb or a misfired Houthi missile. Either way, Faisal’s neighbor paid for repairs alone. “We fasted from food and drink,” Faisal added bitterly, “but not from fear.”

Peace or Solidarity? Yemenis Are Divided

Houthi leader Abdel-Malik al-Houthi insists fighting the US and Israel is a duty. But many civilians disagree. Ammar Ahmed, a law student in Sanaa, tracks regional news anxiously. He worries Houthi actions could drag Yemen back into war. “Iran is powerful and can defend itself,” Ammar argued. “Houthi missiles won’t cripple the US military – they’ll just bring us trouble.”

For Ammar, Yemen’s fragile peace matters more than showing solidarity with Iran. “Why risk our safety?” he asked.

Expert Warning: The Looming Threat

Abulsalam Mohammed, head of the Abaad Studies and Research Center, says Yemeni civilians have real reasons to worry. The Houthis’ fate is tied to Iran. If they join a US-Iran conflict, Saudi Arabia and Yemen’s government could launch new attacks.

Recent victories against southern separatists have made Yemen’s government stronger. Mohammed warns future fights won’t just be airstrikes: “We’ll see ground advances backed by foreign air cover. Like the separatists fell, the Houthis could too.”

The UN envoy, Hans Grundberg, stressed that lasting peace needs a full political deal. “Without it,” he said, “any gains can vanish.”

A Simple Wish For Ramadan

Back in Sanaa, Ahmed Abdu looks ahead. He lost his motorbike, his income, last Ramadan. “That loss can be replaced,” he said quietly. His real wish is simpler: “A peaceful Ramadan this year. A lasting end to the war.” For Yemenis weary of conflict, safety matters more than who wins.

Share This Article